Vanilla Chai Pear Bread
It was one of those calm days where being in the kitchen sounded meditative. A gray rain was blowing in from the Gulf and bringing all kinds of spicy fall cravings with it. Three pears sat on the counter. My jar of chai spice was full to the brim from making a fresh batch the week before. A couple of Fire King loaf pans were looking lonely and neglected on the shelf. So an hour later…this Vanilla Chai Pear Bread happened!
Keep ‘er moving.
Quick breads are fast, easy, and simple. So in that spirit I’m not going to waste your time by waxing poetic about the particularly incredible spiciness of this one, or rant about how pears are underused in American cooking. I’d rather you spend your time actually baking! The only thing vaguely unusual in this particular recipe is that you will be incorporating a cup of grated pear into the batter, not merely chopped pear pieces. This keeps the pear flavor moving sweetly throughout the entire bread. (Grated pear actually becomes the consistency of apple sauce, so expect a bit of a mess.) Also, here’s the recipe for a simple Chai Spice Mix that makes this pear bread sing!
What kind of pears should you use?
With this recipe, I used Bosc pears because that’s what I already had. But really, I would have bought this variety anyway, as they’re the best for baking. Bosc flesh is firm and their flavor is strong compared to other, more delicate varieties. I like that hint of honey that they add, too.
Always the right choice.
As the chameleons of the baking world, quick breads are appropriate for breakfast, afternoon snack, or dessert. You can make a quick bread recipe sweeter and richer, then serve it how you would a poundcake. Or keep the bread lighter, add nuts and fruit, and your slice becomes a great companion to a cup of coffee at sunrise. You could even grill slices, or use them for making French toast!
I hope you have fun with this easy Vanilla Chai Pear Bread! It’ll keep you cozy and feeling fall-ish, I promise you that! Let me know how it goes!
Vanilla Chai Pear Bread
- 3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Eggs, large
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Pears, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Pears, peeled and grated
- 1 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tsp Chai Spice
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Chai Spiced Glaze
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 2-4 Tbsp Half & Half
- 1 tsp Chai Spice
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod, seeds scraped out
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with whisk. Add sugar, oil, grated pears, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, chai spice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and stir together. Pour flour mixture into wet ingredients and whisk together until fully incorporated. Stir in chopped pears.
- Divide batter between your two loaf pans. Transfer to oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out almost clean.
- Cool completely before topping with glaze.
- Stir together powdered sugar, half & half, vanilla seeds, and 1 tsp chai spice until a smooth consistency is achieved. Drizzle or spread over cooled quick breads. Slice thick, and enjoy!
*This post may contain affiliate links. This is not a sponsored post. Vanilla Chai Pear Bread